275 Jacob Maré St, Pretoria Central
adult R9, child R5
audio guides available
S 25 45.311 E 028 11.551
Melrose House is a three-story Victorian House that was built in 1886 as the private residence of businessman George Hays. It was requisitioned by the British and became the Imperial Headquarters of South Africa during the 1899-1902 Anglo-Boer War. It served as the residence of British commanders and the site of British-Boer negotiations that eventually led to the peace treaty that was signed in the dining room of the house. There are audio guides available in multiple languages.